I found the cupcake recipe from one of my cake books. I didn’t like their recipe for frosting so I used my own buttercream recipe and add white chocolate.
To make cupcakes, use any boxed French vanilla cake mix
or your own from scratch. Follow instructions on back of box, but increase water to 1 ½ cup and add 3 heaping tablespoons of instant Chai Latte Tea. I used General Foods International Chai Tea Latte. Follow instructions on back of box for baking cupcakes.
Since Indian Chai tea is spicy, I was pleased that the spices weren’t over-whelming in the taste of these cupcakes. This General Foods International Chai Tea Latte has just the right hint of spices. I have tried some Chai Teas and the spices are overwhelming.
White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
1/2 cup good quality vegetable shortening
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 oz. white baker’s chocolate (four blocks)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups of sifted confectioners’ sugar
2 or more tablespoons heavy cream
Note: Scrape down sides of bowl often.
• Shave one block (one ounce) of white chocolate for tops of frosted cupcakes.
• Sift your four cups of confectioners’ sugar in to a large bowl and set aside.
• Cream shortening and butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed.
• Meanwhile, melt 3 ounces of white baker’s chocolate in a microwaveable safe, small bowl for 15 seconds. Keep melting for intervals of 10 seconds until the chocolate is melted and creamy (Don’t over heat the chocolate. It shouldn’t be hot, it should be just lukewarm).
• Add melted white chocolate to butter and shortening mixture and beat well on medium speed.
• Add vanilla and beat into the mixture on medium speed.
• Stop mixer and add sifted confectioner’s sugar a cup at a time. Beat on low speed (otherwise you will have sugar all over the place) until sugar is incorporated into the butter mixture then turn mixer to medium speed and beat for about 30 seconds. Keep doing this until you have used all of the confectioner’s sugar. Mixture will be dry.
• Add cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you get a medium consistency.
• Keep beating until light and fluffy for 5 or more minutes again, scraping down sides of bowl often.
Frost cupcakes as you desire. Sprinkle cinnamon on top of each frosted cupcake then sprinkle with the shaved white chocolate.