Since our ac had been down for six days I wasn’t about to turn on the oven or use the stove for long periods of time. Temperatures reached 95°F in our house. Coming up with quick and cooling meals, I made macaroni salad. I find that using macaroni as a salad tends to soak up any dressing that is used and the salad quickly becomes dry. I have had success by mixing a small amount of the dressing/mayonnaise into the macaroni and letting it marinate for a while in the refrigerator to keep it from becoming a dried out salad. Then I add the rest of the ingredients.
Macaroni Salad with Tuna
Makes 4-6 servings and preparing about 4 plus hours in advance.
2 cups of elbow macaroni (before cooked)
3 Tablespoons of fresh minced onions
3 Tablespoon yellow prepared mustard
4 eggs-hard boiled
1 small cucumber-peeled
1 can chunk white tuna or any type of canned tuna-drained
Salad Dressing such as Miracle Whip or Mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste
Paprika to sprinkle on top of finished salad
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain in a colander and place the macaroni back into the pan. Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain again and put into a med-large bowl.
2. Add the minced onions, mustard, and a small amount of salad dressing or mayonnaise, salt and pepper to the macaroni. Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
3. In the meantime, hard-boil your eggs. Peel and set aside or refrigerate until ready to mix the salad all together.
4. After the allotted time, slice your eggs and cucumber any way you desire, add these and the tuna to the salad. Add your dressing/mayonnaise about a 1/2 cup. Add more or less dressing/mayonnaise at your discretion.
5. Sprinkle the top with paprika.
Refrigerate until chilled