A s’more is a traditional campfire treat popular in the United States and Canada, consisting of a roasted marshmallow and a slab of chocolate sandwiched between two pieces of graham cracker
I like to create different type of cupcakes. I came up with an idea for s’more flavored cup cakes. I have been working on it for a couple of day. This morning I made these graham ‘cracker’ cupcakes filled with chocolate and topped with marshmallow icing. Hence, s’mores. You could also fill these cupcakes with banana creme pudding topped with chocolate frosting like a banana creme pie or cheesecake flavored pudding with a strawberry glaze on top. It would be like a mini cheese cake flavored cupcake. Think of a graham cracker crust and the different types of pudding one would use to fill one to make a pie. The ideas are endless.
I cut the recipe in half to make a small batch of cupcakes. This recipe below makes 15 cupcakes.
Graham ‘Cracker’ Cupcake
Preheat oven to 350°F
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup graham cracker flour
1¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter softened at room temperature
1 cup sugar
¾ teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon almond extract
1 cup milk
- Grind 1 cup of graham cracker crumbs into a flour-like consistency. You will need ¾ cups of graham cracker flour. Sift together the graham flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light.
- Add egg, vanilla and almond extract to creamed mixture and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with the milk, beating well after each addition.
- Beat this for 1-2 minutes.
- Scoop into cupcake pan lined with baking paper 2/3 full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove and completely cool on racks
While the cupcakes are baking prepare your frosting.
½ cup unsalted butter softened at room temperature
¼ cup shortening
1 jar marshmallow creme
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups confectioners sugar
small amount of milk
- Sift the two cups of confectioner’s sugar onto a piece of waxed paper
- In an electric mixer, cream together the butter and shortening until light and creamy. Add vanilla
- Add the jar of marshmallow creme and continue to beat mixing well.
- Stop mixer and add 1 cup of the sugar, beating well on medium speed, Stop mixture again then add the rest of the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
*If this mixture seems dry and not the right consistency then add a teaspoon of milk at a time until the desired consistency is achieved.
1 box of chocolate instant pudding
2 cups cold milk
*Don’t wait to use this pudding to fill cupcake as it will thicken and won’t be liquid enough to fill cupcakes. USE IMMEDIATELY.
(You could make your own chocolate filling, but to save time I prefer the pudding.)
In a medium bowl add milk and drying pudding. Beat with wire whisk for 2 minutes.
- Put pudding into a pastry bag fitted with a #230 Bismarck tip, fill each cupcake.
- Frost or decorate cupcakes as desired with the marshmallow frosting.
*Note: Leftover cupcakes need to be refrigerated.