Arancini Di Riso E Piselli/Fried rice and peas.
Risotto should be made at least 2-3 hours before making the Arancini Di Riso E Piselli.
First make the risotto. It is pretty easy to do.
1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 ¾-4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup white wine (optional)
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
- In a microwave safe bowl, cook peas with 2 tablespoons water in the microwave for 1 minute-set aside
- In a heavy 2 1/2 quart saucepan, sauté onions in oil and melted butter for 3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add rice and stir for about 2 minutes
- Stir in the 1/4 cup of wine and 3/4 cup of broth (if not using wine add a full cup of broth). Continue cooking and stirring until liquid is absorbed.
- Gradually stir in remaining broth 1 cup at a time, cooking and stirring until liquid is absorbed before adding the next cup. Continue cooking and stirring until the rice is creamy and tender, about 30-35 minutes
- Remove from heat. Stir in drained peas and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled, for at least 2 hours or up to 1 day.
After the risotto is cooled you are ready to make the rice balls.
Arancini Di Riso E Piselli
Makes 12-15 balls
1 large egg
Dry bread crumbs
Small amount of mozzarella cut into small cubes
- Into a small bowl, beat the egg.
- In another bowl or plate add bread crumbs. I used Italian flavored, but you can certainly use plain bread crumbs.
- Shape portions of the rice into tight balls, poke a hole and add a piece of mozzarella cheese. Re-roll hiding the cheese in the middle.
- Dip rice ball into egg mixture (coating all sides), then into the bread crumbs. Hold each coated ball onto a piece of waxed paper until ready to fry.
- Heat 3 inches of oil in heavy large saucepan to 350° over medium-high heat. Carefully drop 2-3 rice ball into hot oil and brown on all sides turning if necessary.
- With a large slotted spoon, transfer the rice balls onto paper towels to drain. Season with salt, let rest for a couple of minutes before eating.