Makes 12 servings
2½ sifted all-purpose flour (sift before measuring)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1½ ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1½ ground nutmeg
1 cup butter or regular margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup of light molasses
¾ cup hot water
Sweetened Whipped Cream
1. Preheat oven to 375° °F. Grease well and flour 13-by-9-by-2-inch pan.
2. Sift flour with baking soda, spices and salt; set aside.
3. In large bowl of electric mixer, at high speed, beat butter, sugar and eggs until smooth and fluffy – about 5 minutes.
4. At low speed, beat in molasses and hot water. Add flour mixture, beating just until smooth.
5. Turn batter into prepared pans. Bake on middle oven rack, 30 to 35 minutes, or until cake tester inserted in senter comes out clean.
6. Cool partially in pan on wire rack. Cut into 12 rectangles while still warm.
Serve with whipped cream.
Makes 12 servings.