These biscotti are just as delicious without the chocolate.
Chocolate Dipped Orange-Almond Biscotti
1/3 cup softened butter
¾ cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 teaspoons orange zest grated give it a rough chop
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease or line with parchment paper a large baking sheet or biscotti pan.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt into a small bowl. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla, almond extract and orange zest and beat well. Add the flour mixture a little at a time and mix well.
4. Place onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and form into 12 by 4-inch log. Using a spatula, form the dough into a 12 by 4-inch log. Smooth the sides and top as you go along. This will take some time to form and get the right shape and length. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the log is lightly browned and firm when pressed lightly in the middle (use the toothpick test in the middle if you wish).
5. Remove from oven, but do not turn off oven. Let log cool for 10 minutes before you removing it from the sheet pan. Slide or place the log onto a cutting board. Slice on the diagonal with a bread knife into ½-inches slices. Lay the biscotti on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes on each side, or until the biscotti are lightly toasted. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
6. In a microwave safe bowl, melt 2-3 1 oz. squares of bittersweet chocolate in microwave on high for 30 seconds then stir. Microwave 30 seconds more until chocolate is almost melted. Keep microwaving at 10 second intervals until chocolate has melted. Stir. Using a small spatula, spread melted chocolate on half of each biscotti coating all sides. Lay onto a piece of waxed paper or parchment paper. Cool in the refrigerator until the chocolate has set.