CROCCHETTE DI PATATE-POTATO CROQUETTES
About an 1 ½ before serving–
4 cups left-over mashed potatoes
¼-½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, slightly beaten
black pepper to taste
1 cup Vegetable oil for frying
Into three shallow dishes–
2 large eggs, beaten
½ cup of all-purpose flour mixing in ¼ teaspoon salt and a little black pepper
½-1 cup fine dried Italian bread crumbs
- Combine potatoes, Parmesan cheese, egg, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Shape mixture into nine, slightly less than ½-inch, patties
- Dredge each patty in flour, shake off the excess.
- Run the patty through the egg to coat, let the excess egg drip back into the bowl.
- Place patty in bread crumbs, coat each side while lightly pressing so the crumbs adhere.
- Lay patties onto a piece of waxed paper on a cookie sheet. Put these into the refrigerator for an hour before frying.
- Heat oil into a large skillet (12 inches in diameter) over medium heat. Brown on all sides in hot oil. Drain onto plate, lined with paper towels.
IDEA: ALMONDS-Shape croquettes into balls, roll in flour, then in egg and finally in slivered almonds, coarsely chopped then fry.
SPINACH-Add 1/2 cup chopped cooked spinach to potatoes.
(If you perfer not to fry these, you can bake in an oven omitting the bread crumbs. Place your mixture into a medium, greased (or use cooking spray) cookie and bake at 350°F oven until golden brown.)