I had originally made these with a lime filling which was delicious, but I think that a strawberry filling would have been much more to my family’s liking.
*The Lime Filling is posted below.
Strawberry Filled Sponge Cupcakes
1 pkg (16 ounces) frozen sliced strawberries packed in sugar thawed
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Makes: 2 cups of filling.
- Drain strawberries; reserving liquid. Add enough water to liquid to equal 1 1/4 cups. In large saucepan, combine strawberry liquid, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice; mix well. Heat and stir until mixture boils and thickens. Cool completely. Refrigerate until ready to use.Make cupcakes-(yields 15-17 regular sized cupcakes)
Preheat oven 350°F
3/4 cups sifted cake flour
3/4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, separated
2 Tablespoons cold water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon lemon oil or 1 teaspoons lemon juice or1 teaspoon lemon extract
3/8 teaspoon cream of tartar (3/8 teaspoons=1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon)
- In a large mixing bowl; sift flour, 6 tablespoons sugar, and salt into a bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl; beat together egg yolks, water, vanilla and lemon oil.
- Add to dry ingredients and beat at medium speed with electric mixer until mixture is smooth.
- In a medium mixing bowl; beat egg whites and cream of tartar until white and foamy. Add remaining 6 tablespoons sugar gradually, a small amount at a time; beating at high speed until mixture is stiff and glossy. Carefully fold egg-yolk mixture into egg whites.
- Scoop batter into cupcake pan, lined with baking paper, 2/3 full.
- Gently cut through the batter with a toothpick or small knife to break up any air pockets.
- Bake in preheated 350° for 16-18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and cool cupcakes on a wire rack.
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1/3 cup of water
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine all ingredients in top of double boiler, except vanilla, over boiling water. Beat rapidly with electric mixer for 7-9 minutes or until mixture forms stiff peaks. Remove from heat and beat in vanilla.
- Put filling into a pastry bag fitted with a #230 Bismarck tip, fill each cupcake.
- Frost or decorate cupcakes as desired with the frosting.
*Note: Leftover cupcakes need to be refrigerated.
*Lime Filling- (Make this filling well ahead of time. It needs and hour or more to set.)
1-14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk (not canned milk)
1/2 cup of lime juice
- Mix together well. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours until ready to use. Use to fill cupcakes or a filling for cakes.