Vanilla Buttercream Frosting 1/2 cup good quality vegetable shortening 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened 1 teaspoons vanilla extract 4 cups of sifted confectioners’ sugar (about 1 lb.) 1 or more tablespoons milk Note: Scrape down sides of bowl often.
- Sift your four cups of confectioners’ sugar in to a large bowl and set aside.
- Cream shortening and butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Add vanilla to butter and shortening mixture and beat well on medium speed.
- Stop mixer and add sifted confectioner’s sugar a cup at a time. Beat on low speed (otherwise you will have sugar all over the place) until sugar is incorporated into the butter mixture then turn mixer to medium speed and beat for about 30 seconds. Keep doing this until you have used all of the confectioner’s sugar. Mixture will be dry.
- Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you get a medium consistency. Keep beating until light and fluffy, scraping down sides of bowl often.